Wednesday, April 21, 2010

52 Weeks to Better Genealogy - Challenge #16

Week 16: Check out the online library catalog of a university. You may use one close to you, or one in the area of your research. Colleges and universities have wonderful archives, many of which are valuable to historical research. Browse around the library website and investigate the various archival collections. Make note of ones that may assist you in your own research. Genealogy blog authors are encouraged to write about what they find and share the details for benefit of their readers.

Since I am employed by The University of Notre Dame, it only makes sense that I should explore the online library catalog for the University Hesburgh Library!

One book I knew they had in their collection that I am anxious to read has to do with my husbands family in St. Helens, Lancashire, England.

A Merseyside Town in the Industrial Revolution: St. Helens, 1750-1900

The book is located in their General Collection which makes me wonder if I can actually check the book out.  When I lived in Tampa, the USF Library also had the book in their collection but only for research in the library.  This is something I need to follow up on.

Turning to my own family, I explored the Hesburgh Library for anything in their collection on Wabash County, Indiana,  I found the following book published in 1976 on Wabash County History.

Wabash County History Bicentennial Edition 1976, Wabash Indiana

I didn't find much else I could use in this particular library but I will say that if I choose to go over and look at these books their online catalog has a really neat feature.  You can click on the link "Find It" to locate any book in the library and it will give your the floor the book is located on and the call number.  Very handy for a library with 10+ floors!

No comments:

Post a Comment