Saturday, June 19, 2010

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun

Here's Randy Seaver's challenge from Genea-Musings:


"Hey genea-funsters, it's Saturday Night! Time for more Genealogy Fun.
Your mission for Father's Day, if you decide to accept it, is to:
1) Determine who is one of the most prolific fathers in your genealogy database or in your ancestry. By prolific, I mean the one who fathered the most children.
2) Tell us about him in your own blog post, in comments to this blog post, or in comments on Facebook.

This is my first time participating in one of Randy's challenges but when I saw the topic I just couldn't resist!  When I began searching my database I realized many of my male ancestors fathered 10, 11 or even 12 children!  To find the most prolific I would need to do some digging.  After searching and searching I have found my winner:

Charles Leonard Lewis DeWise Wright SCOTT (1813-1888) my great-great-great grandfather.  Charles R., as he was known, was the father of 15 children!

Charles R. was first married to Mary Ann CHUMNEY (1815-1854) and they had 12 children, 6 girls and 6 boys.  9 lived to adulthood while 3 died in childhood.

Charles remarried in 1856 to Hester HARRIS (1824-1881) and fathered three more children.  1 boy and 2 girls the oldest of which, Marilla Elma SCOTT was my great-great grandmother.

Mary Ann CHUMNEY SCOTT is buried in America Cemetery, Wabash County, Indiana. 
Charles R. SCOTT and Hester HARRIS SCOTT are buried in Old LaFontaine Cemetery, Wabash County, Indiana.

No comments:

Post a Comment