Monday, April 11, 2011

Military Monday - Andersonville Prison

In my BOTKIN family alone I have 24 confirmed Civil War Veterans.  16 on the Union side and 8 on the Confederate side.  I have 28 more that I have not confirmed but I believe may have served.  There are so many sad stories to come out of this research but lately I have been taking a closer look at the three I know died in Andersonville Prison.

This is their story.

On 19 Jun 1862, 18 year old Amos BOTKIN of Clark County, Ohio enlisted in the 45th Regiment, Company K.  He was the oldest son of Moses and Sally Ann BOTKIN.

On 6 Aug 1862, Amos' uncle, William Innes BOTKIN, age 30 also enlisted in the 45th Regiment, Company K.  Three months earlier William and his wife Nancy had lost their only child.  William was the son of Jeremiah and Anna BOTKIN.

Also on 6 Aug 1862, Willam's cousin, William J. BOTKIN, age 27 also enlisted in the 45th Regiment, Company K.  Willam left behind his wife Clara and two children, 1 year old Kenton and daughter Georgie who was born while Willam was at war.  Willam J. was the son of Abraham and Sarah BOTKIN who lost another son, Wallace, in the war. 

The 45th Regment was mustered into service on 19 Aug 1862 at Camp Chase, Columbus, Ohio.  They faced many battles in the 15 months leading up to that day that sealed the fate of the BOTKIN men.

On 15 Nov 1863 at Holsten River, TN all three were captured and sent to Andersonville.  I can only assume the two older Uncles were probably looking out for 18 year old Amos and thus were together when captured.

Andersonville prison was the deadliest prisoner of war camp during the Civil War with a total of nearly 13,000 deaths. Over 40% of all Union prisoners of war who died during the Civil War perished at Andersonville.  The conditions were horrible.

Amos died first on 19 May 1864 of Debilitas, a condition described as a weakened and enfeebled condition.  5 days later his Uncle William Innes died of Anasarca followed 22 days later by William J., also of Anasarca. 

All three are buried in Andersonville National Cemetery.  Amos is in grave #1212, William Innes in grave #1368 and William J. in grave #1970.


8 comments:

  1. I'm amazed at all your Civil War connections in your tree. I only have one. Your photo above is quite a shot, so terribly sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I'm amazed too! I have other families that were here at that time but must not have been quite so patriotic! LOL!

    I got that photo from Google Images and it just spoke to me......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andersonville is such a sad, sad story. It is even more sad to realize that families lost more than one family member there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even at this distance, removed by time and generations, this is still just excruciatingly painful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan and Heather:

    I agree, so sad and so many young men lost. I have one family that had 7 sons and 6 of them served. Not all came home....

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you ever have the opportunity - visit Andersonville National Cemetery. The film that is shown is a 'must' and explains in detail how terrible the conditions were for the unfortunate ones who were captured and held there. There is also an informative guided tour of the stockade area.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a few collateral relatives that were at Anderson. I know of one, perhaps two, that died there. Thank you for sharing this information. I feel connected in a strange way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoyed your post and the photo makes it even more powerful and hit home to the great loss during that time. I have not found any Civil War vets in my line since most didn't come to the states until around 1900. However, I have one line that I'm still searching. Good Luck on your searching.
    Chris
    digginforfamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete