Thursday, December 1, 2011

Thankful Thursday - Free Genealogy Education

It might seem a silly thing to be thankful for but with two sons in college at the same time my dollars are s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d thin these days!

But that doesn't stop me from taking advantage of many genealogy learning opportunities available.  I just look for those with a price tag to fit my current budget.....FREE!

I did a quick look back at all the learning resources online in the past year that I have taken advantage of and am blown away!  Keep in mind these are just the ones I can remember (this middle age brain isn't what it use to be!)

I have listened to:

12 Legacy Family Tree Webinars
 3 Explorinars by Thomas MacEntee
 1 Ancestry.com Webinar
 1 class on the Civil War recorded by Yale Univeristy
 1 PBS Documentary on the War of 1812 available online
Countless Friday nights listening to Geneabloggers Radio
Many Podcasts of Genealogy Gems

Not to mention all I've learned from the 100+  genealogy blogs that I follow! And the year isn't over yet!  I still have two more Webinars I am registered for in December!

All this FREE education has allowed me to save my genealogy education dollars for my first national genealogy conference - NGS in Cincinnati in May!

Today I am so thankful for all of you in the genealogy community who share your expertise with all of us.  The price tag may be free but it is PRICELESS to me.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this! Great ideas I need to follow up on!
    Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like free webinars, too. I can't wait to check out the ones in your list that I haven't seen or listened to. I do try to catch Geneabloggers Radio (I forget sometimes but glad I can listen to them later), and I only recently discovered the ancestry.com webinars and Thomas MacEntee's explorinars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed your blog, and really like your tool box. Great idea for sharing for your favorite sites!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for listing all of these great resources. Also, ancestry.com, genealogy.com and familysearch.org have online classes, for FREE. Aren't we lucky? And I'm sure you'll love the conference.

    ReplyDelete