Saturday, February 11, 2012

52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy - Week - Family Heirlooms

Week 6 – Family Heirlooms:  For which family heirloom are you most thankful? How did you acquire this treasure and what does it mean to you and your family?

One of my most treasured possessions is the bible kept by my Great-Great Grandparents, John Thomas Brane and Marilla Scott Brane


Inside the front cover they glued and taped obituaries for family members from the local newspaper dating back to 1872.  My great-great grandmother also listed all the family marriages, births and deaths.  


Sadly it is very old and in bad condition.




Right after Christmas there was an article in our local newspaper about a church in town who had old books restored regarding their church history.  I contacted the company they used and found that they were located in the same small town my boys go to college in!


I took the bible to them for an estimate and left it in their capable hands.  It will take 6 months and several hundred dollars to restore. 


But to me......it's priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment