Mahlon and Anna Pearson
2nd Settlers Liberty Township, Wabash County, Indiana
Old LaFontaine Cemetery
Mahlon Pearson arrived in November to take possession of the eighty acres which he had entered in 1832 - the east half of the northeast quarter of the same section (23) upon which Mr. Grant had located. His entry was the first of record in the township.
When Mr. Pearson came to take up his entry in section 23 he was in his thiry-eighth year, with a wife and five children. For years he has been "flat-boating" down the Tennessee, Ohio and Mississippi rivers, his home having long been in Eastern Tennessee where he had owned a farm of 160 acres. He was therefore well qualified to make progress in the Wabash Valley, and was a strong accession to the township and the county. He lived to see six more sons and daughters added to his family, to prosper himself and enjoy the prosperity and good standing of several generations of descendants. His death occured in 1876, in his eightieth year.
*History of Wabash County Indiana, Volume 1