Wednesday, January 25, 2012

How to Ask for a Memorial Transfer on Find A Grave

Last week I wrote about the correct procedure to ask for corrections and additions to be made to a Find A Grave memorial that you do not manage.  But what if you would like the volunteer to transfer ownership of a memorial they created?  What are the correct steps to follow in this situation?

1.  First, determine if you really need the memorial transferred to you for management.  Remember that additions and corrections can be made through Suggest a Correction.  Simply having someone in your family tree is not grounds to ask for a management transfer request.

2.  The guidelines for a transfer request is for direct relatives within four generations. This would be your siblings, parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.  Requests for these types of transfers will be granted.  If the memorial manager refuses just send an email to edit at Find A Grave and they will make the transfer for you.

3.  Transfers outside of four generations are at the discretion of the memorial manager.  When asking for this type of transfer be sure to be polite and always explain your relationship to the deceased.  Keep in mind that the original contributor may also be related to the memorial.

4.  Finally, please note that it is not appropriate to request a transfer, then after receiving it, delete the original memorial and substitute with a new one you have created.  This practice is against Find A Grave rules and will get you a "time out" or banned from the site.

What do I do if I request a transfer out of the four generation guideline and it is denied?  This is when I either create a virtual cemetery or add the memorial to one I have already created.

What is a Virtual Cemetery?  I'll cover that feature and its uses next week.

2 comments:

  1. Lisa...I am really enjoying your Find a Grave postings. I recently became a volunteer myself after creating a memorial for my dad - see my blog post:

    http://onkat.wordpress.com/2012/01/10/eternally-grateful-to-find-a-grave-com/

    Thanks for these informative and helpful posts!

    Kathi O'Neill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a touching post. Your family must be so proud of your father!

      I love the photo with all the wreaths....just beautiful.

      I left a token of appreciation on his memorial.

      Lisa

      Delete