Sunday, January 22, 2012

Sentimental Sunday – Henry HANLEY – “Hand over the Shotgun”

Yet another story from my infamous HANLEY ancestors!  This story is about my Great-Great Grandfather, Henry HANLEY.  He is the father of Leo (The Baby in the Basket), Elizabeth (My Mother the Nun) and Harry (Youth’s Tragic Death).

In 1933 the United States Government called in the gold via executive order by President Roosevelt.

My G-G Grandfather Henry, however, refused to turn in his gold coins.  Instead he took himself down to the corner bar in Marion, Indiana and attempted to pay for his drinks using a gold coin.  When the bartender refused to accept the coin as payment Grandpa Henry went back home and retrieved his shotgun.

Returning to the bar my 67 year old Grandfather made his displeasure known by shooting several holes in the ceiling.  I’m told this did make the local newspaper although I haven’t found the article.  If you are reading this and you live in Marion, Indiana please contact me!

No comments:

Post a Comment